Moving from Garmin to Karoo

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
scottbear

Moving from Garmin to Karoo

Post by scottbear »

Hello,
I am a Garmin Edge 1000 user and thinking of getting a Karoo. I only have two aspects which are letting me reluctant. In my Garmin, although I have a mechanical groupset, I can see in which gears I am. It calculates using speed and cadence. Is there such thing on Karoo, or the possibility for me to code a custom data field?
The other thing is live tracking. From what I see it is currently not available. Is there a side way to enable this with some app?

Thanks

Psyclist

Re: Moving from Garmin to Karoo

Post by Psyclist »

There a quite a few Android apps for live tracking that you can sideload; I've tried with Osmand only so far.
Regarding custom data fields you're out of luck though, such a thing isn't possible right now. It wouldn't be hard I guess, as long as all you do is munge existing sensor data, but I suppose they're not willing to implement the nerdy version that would let you write some huge expression to arrive at the value to display, and to do this properly with a setting in the bike profiles where you can enter your gear ratios would be quite a bit of work.

Jenkins

Post by Jenkins »

Did you find Osmand to be reliable?

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist »

Jenkins wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Did you find Osmand to be reliable?
You mean stability-wise or regarding maps? It's not flawless but pretty damn good. I've seen it crash maybe once every couple of months of daily use. Even though the integrated navigation has been making good progress recently (I just forgot my headphones today so I couldn't test the new audio cues) it's still a different league.
HH uses Mapbox's "curated maps" that supposedly have some quality control so if a joker decides to draw a penis on the map or add a couple thousand bogus POIs, chances are it will show up on Osmand's but not on Mapbox's maps -- on the other hand, Mapbox is often many months behind the current state of OSM while Osmand has the speediest updates I've seen anywhere; if you really want to you can have them on an hourly basis.

KM1.8T

Post by KM1.8T »

Made the move to Karoo after many years using Garmin products, purchased on the Black Friday sale. I have used 705, 510, 810 and 820. Hard to get out of the ecosystem of Garmin but I made it! Only had a few rides so far and all is well. Have Varia radar attached along with cadence sensors and so far no issues. Battery drain is around 7% an hour with brightness around 30%. Have not used the routing yet but roads in my area appear to be accurate and with good detail. I do not use a power meter so unable to comment on how that would work.
Everything set up easily and all seem well so far, was concerned about no audio for the radar but I am kind of liking not hearing the noise. I always looked for cars anyway and never rely solely on the radar. The unit is a little large to get used to at first but you forget about that soon enough, worth it for the nice screen and without getting all the Garmin quirks. We will see how it goes long term.