Are paper maps still needed?

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
jeffjsmith33

Are paper maps still needed?

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

The last time we went away for a trip I took a bundle of French TOP 100 maps - lots of extra weight. I had a Garmin 820 and although following a route is OK, the screen is too small and the touch screen impossible to use to plan anything on the ride. For example, to take account of an unexpected flood, landslide or road closure ... So the maps were almost crucial for re-planning on the road.

I am hoping to receive my Karoo before I next go to France at the end of May, and I am wondering if the paper maps will still be necessary? I will have routes planned out and downloaded to follow. But I am wondering if the mapping on the Karoo is good enough to look around for alternative roads or cycle paths when the inevitable route blockage occurs? There is the possibility of using the Karoo on-board re-routing, but I would be very cautious with that I think and would definitely like to check it before following.

If Karoo users could advise, I would be grateful. It would be nice to save a kilo or two of weight...

(Cross-posted on the official Hammerhead Community site)

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Are paper maps still needed?

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

The Karoo maps do seem to be very high quality. Personally, I love paper maps and could study them for hours just for fun. Though with the widespread availability of online maps these days, and in the UK where you can get the excellent Ordnance Survey maps on subscription, you have to wonder how "necessary" paper maps are.

What I don't know is how the availability is for online versions of French maps.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks Steve,

I too love maps - I am a good customer of the Hereford Map Centre!

Aside from the online maps, Google maps, etc, would you consider being able to see how to make a diversion just by using the Karoo map?

Best regards,

Jeff

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't have my Karoo.to hand right now to have a look, but I would guess that the problem would be the relatively small size of the screen rather than the map detail - i.e. having to move/zoom the map a lot compared to, say, a PC. So possible but a bit more fiddly?

nordog

Post by nordog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:38 pm

jeffjsmith33 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:25 pm
Thanks Steve,

I too love maps - I am a good customer of the Hereford Map Centre!

Aside from the online maps, Google maps, etc, would you consider being able to see how to make a diversion just by using the Karoo map?

Best regards,

Jeff
A small group of us riders from Warminster should in Hereford next Saturday evening/Sunday morning staying over night, we promise not to be drunk.
We are riding from Ludlow to Abergavenny. Some will ride back to Gloucester for their car, two of us will rid back to Bath Spa station or ride all the way home if weather is kind.
Of course I will use my Karoo for this trip, my route is on my Dashboard ready. perhaps we could meet up?

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Have a good ride! I don't live near Hereford I am afraid, so meeting up won't be possible.

I hope that the Karoo does well - and impresses all!

Best wishes, Jeff

2whluge

Post by 2whluge » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I am very interested in this thread. My Karoo is supposed to be here tomorrow. While I was waiting, I bought a Elemnt thinking the Karoo would never come ;)

Last summer, we did a self supported tandem tour along the Elberadweg in Germany. We had maps for the radeweg, but not for the surrounding roads. The week before, there were bad storms in the area, which forced us off the radeweg onto the local roads. I had to use my phone as a gps, which didn’t get us back to the original route. Then it rained, and well , you get the picture.

We wishe we’d had printed maps, and will always have some backup. My goal, though, is to have a good bike gps with maps, turn by turn, and return to route capability. It needs to be water resistant (driving rain last 20 km) and long enough battery (phone kept dying). So, Karoo or Elemnt?

Peace, Dennis

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:50 am

Hi Dennis,

I saw these two posts on the Karoo Users Facebookpage that might give you some support with regard to water and dirt resistance of the Karoo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... pe=3&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 361&type=3

Hope it helps,
Best regards, Simon

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am

I've certainly been out in the pouring rain with my Karoo and it was no problem, including no issues with rain and phantom presses on the touchscreen.

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am

Jeff,

to give you an example of the offline map on Karoo, here's a screenshot of a park/forest-like area close to my home:
Karoo_screenshot.jpg
Karoo_screenshot.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2017 times
From top to bottom is 600 meter. When I increase the area beyond 1500 meter I start to lose sight on the smaller roads and paths.
So if your detour is beyond that it remains do-able I think, but indeed get a bit more fiddly, like Steve says.

Simon

2whluge

Post by 2whluge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Simon, what happened in the second photo? Looks like road salt? Dust followed by Rain?

I’ve never had a bike gps so I’ll ask a couple of novice questions: first, what map formats will work? I’ll check and see if the sites I would use are supported. Second, if WiFi is needed, could I use my mobile as a hotspot if necessary?

Peace, Dennis

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm

2whluge wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm
I’ve never had a bike gps so I’ll ask a couple of novice questions: first, what map formats will work? I’ll check and see if the sites I would use are supported. Second, if WiFi is needed, could I use my mobile as a hotspot if necessary?
You can't load your own maps onto Karoo (though people have asked about this). You can import a gpx file for the route, to the Dashboard (and thereby sync to Karoo), but there's no facility to replace the maps themselves.

Yes, you can use your phone's wifi hotspot while you're out if you want.