ATG Release 1.21.495.3

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
dthempel
Site Admin

ATG Release 1.21.495.3

Post by dthempel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello ATG Members,

The first software update for 2019 is now available to download on your Karoo. This release introduces a high-contrast map style for easier viewing under bright sunlight, new look homescreen and data fields, custom drag-and-drop data field layouts, and off-route notifications. Your data field pages have been migrated to the new layouts, but we encourage you to customize your pages further using the new options.

What's new in release 1.21.495.3

New features and improvements:

New, higher-contrast map style for easier viewing under bright sunlight
The Karoo homescreen has been redesigned to make ride mode its central purpose and allow more convenient launching of rides. Long-hold on the new ride circle to go straight into ride mode without selecting page profiles or pre-selecting a route
Full data field management
New drag-and-drop page creation tool for custom data field layout that maximises screen real estate
Existing Karoo data fields are automatically migrated to the new layouts
Data field appearance update
Data pages in the Ride app are re-expressed with consistent and larger fonts to capitalize on the screen real estate
Initial reworking of data field display: Removed the use of “n/a” and replaced with “...” (sensor connected but not showing a value); “- -” (missing data, e.g. distance to destination after route removed), and “0” (sensor showing zero value). Further refinements are expected in future releases
Riders will see a timed banner displaying a message when going off-route, and another notification when rejoining the route. The color of the turn-by-turn instructions will change to blue (to match the re-route line) when off course
Further ANT+ Support
Support for Get/Set Crank Length on ANT+ Power Meters
Support for Calibration of CTF-based ANT+ Power Meters (e.g. SRM)
Battery status is now dynamically shown in the sensors app for non-Power Meter ANT+ devices that declare battery status and runtime
Rides can now be started from the home screen using the buttons on the side of Karoo
The Karoo screen no longer turns on/off in response to power being applied or removed. This is in support of customers using dynamometers to power Karoo in rides

Bug Fixes:

Accuracy improvements for in the 1, 3, and 5 second average speed fields
Fixed an issue which could cause the average speed field field to briefly spike to extreme values
Improvements were made to Karoos performance in long rides:
Memory leak and high CPU spikes removed
Fit file recording remains solid over time
Under normal conditions data fields are not dropped from fit records
The above improvements also resolve the data field freezes reported by some customers
Distance to Next Turn, Distance to Destination, ETA, and Time to Destination are cleared when a route is removed during an activity
Data field initialization issues have been resolved. This includes issues like previous ride’s values being visible before the next activity has been started, fields not zeroing when data is no longer available, and graphic fields not behaving well if sensors stopped transmitting
An issue has been resolved where rides were not consistently saved/recovered if Karoo’s battery was emptied during a ride

Features and Bug Fixes in Progress:

Known Bug: The on/off route detection is currently working only on the map view
Known Bug: The gray line indicating the path traveled does not stand out on the new map style
Known Bug: The historic elevation graph can become non-functional while recording
Overall, Q1 2019 is focusing on reliability and stability
The single highest prioritized feature is a predictive elevation graph
Graphical data fields will be reworked to match the static data fields, changing “n/a” values to reflect sensors not transmitting, sensors not paired, and zero values

Steve
Site Admin

Re: ATG Release 1.21.495.3

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am

This sounds good in writing. Trouble is though, I have very low confidence that they won't introduce some major bugs with this level of big change.

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 am

Steve wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am
This sounds good in writing. Trouble is though, I have very low confidence that they won't introduce some major bugs with this level of big change.
Yeah, I'm hopeful. But my Edge is going with me once I've got this update.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 am

Steve wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am
True dat. When I read stuff like "Known Bug: The gray line indicating the path traveled does not stand out on the new map style" and try to imagine how hard it can possibly be to change that color, the only conclusion is that things must be weirder under the hood than I can imagine.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Come on guys, this is a good effort. Let’s see how it goes.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm

JohnJ80 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm
Come on guys, this is a good effort. Let’s see how it goes.
It wasn't terrible in my one-hour freezing cold ride. No restarts, which seems to plague people below freezing. My ride was 26 degrees according to Karoo. Here's what I posted to the ATG forum:

- Centering the numbers in the data fields is a must. If some people seem to like the current justification, then offer it as a user-configurable item. Left, right or center.

- I still think the ride start mechanism is confusing and not intuitive at all. If you just tap the big yellow button now, you get to pick the page set and route. This is fine, but then the button on the bottom says "View Ride" or some such? To me, the long press from the main page should launch *and* start the ride. The button on the page/route selection should also start the ride after the selections have been made.

- *ANY* "discard/stop" function where you're about to "lose" a ride without saving it should be confirmed.

- Moving data fields is a bit laggy.

- Removing data fields is very unintuitive, particularly for an Android user. Could there be a "Remove" box or location on the screen where the unwanted data element could be dragged to? This would align better with Android and drag and drop interfaces for things like apps. The double-tap right now isn't something that's explained and I basically stumbled on it when trying to remove an incorrectly added duplicate data field.

- I would echo what others have said about making the data fields even more configurable. Two small, followed by one large, followed by one small (but wide), etc. Given both text only and visually animated fields (power, climb charts, etc.) the current options are still limiting. Maybe that's next step? If so, then ignore the comment/complaint for now.

- The new off-route colors are OK and do stand out, but I still think the universal red/yellow/green would be better, but that's just me. Green for current street while on-course. Yellow for next turn while on-course. Red for off-course or off-course next turn to get you back? Same with the on-map lines?

- Font consistency is better and larger, but it still seems like there's wasted space and some inconsistencies in size. I'll have to try to review this on the trainer. I was out yesterday. It was cold. I had gloves on and was trying to manipulate a GoPro while also riding and watching the screen.

- BUG: I'm getting a constant notification that I need to re-login. I can't do that. The email address contains "NA" and won't let me change it. My routes are downloaded and my rides are uploading (at least to Strava), so it's not even clear what I am logged "OUT" of?

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am

Ergh. I am not a fan of the new data screen builder. Very unintuitive and unless I'm missing something it seems to be more restrictive than before, and I can't duplicate my previous main screen's layout (which had five fields including a heart rate zone graphic) any more unless I actually delete a field (so in actual fact this is worse usage of the screen area, not better). As usual, terrible execution.

And we still have the stupid "green means go" bar at the top when you think you've started a ride, only in fact for the ride to be stopped because you need to press another button?

This is utter rubbish.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am

It gets worse.

Now it show me all my routes when I use the new way of starting a ride? I only see 58 routes and not all those stored on my Karoo (which I can see fine when I go to my Routes app). And what's worse is it shows me my oldest 58 routes. So I can't see the new ones.

If I go to the Routes app and try and pick one of those routes to use in the ride and start it that way, although the route looks fine (and used to work fine), it now comes up with "Breadcrumb navigation available" in small letters on the new Ride screen.

At this rate, my Karoo will be going in the bin soon (not sure I feel happy trying to sell such a piece of rubbish on to someone else).

reggieb

Post by reggieb » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:47 am

Steve wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am
Ergh. I am not a fan of the new data screen builder. Very unintuitive and unless I'm missing something it seems to be more restrictive than before, and I can't duplicate my previous main screen's layout (which had five fields including a heart rate zone graphic) any more unless I actually delete a field (so in actual fact this is worse usage of the screen area, not better). As usual, terrible execution.

And we still have the stupid "green means go" bar at the top when you think you've started a ride, only in fact for the ride to be stopped because you need to press another button?

This is utter rubbish.
I agree, some people on the support discussion site seem to like it. Only explanation is that it's people that don't use many fields. The layouts above 5 data fields are just garbage.

Also, double clicking in Android? It's like they've never reviewed a design guide, let alone come up with one for their devs to follow. They need a UX person badly.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Yes, the double-clicking thing is a bit of a *facepalm* moment.

As for my issues with not seeing all of my routes from the Ride app, HH support have suggested several workarounds but none of them have worked so far. I can access the later routes from the Routes app, and start the ride from there, but the one yesterday didn't give me any turn directions and just the red line on the map.

Trying to find something positive, the new high-contrast maps are a big step forward. I can finally see side turnings coming up, and them not be invisible because they're white on light grey.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am

Another day, another workaround from HH that doesn't help. They asked me to try creating a route via the Dashboard and make it available offline on my Karoo. The result is my Karoo's Ride app doesn't see it, and starting it from the Routes app tells me it's a breadcrumb navigation route. Back to HH again. Hopefully they'll see it's a real issue that needs fixing, and not just give me random workarounds.

DIRK

Post by DIRK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:20 am

I am soooo disappointed by Hammerhead, well I must write pissed me off.
How can you bring a software update knowing that it is not good?

The best example is the update with the blue field when you are off route.
Yes, on the Map Data Field it is blue, but on the other Data Fields it is still red.
And just mention it that it is a known bug…………Why??????? Wait for that update.

And that is just the big problem with Hammerhead: doing a lot…..but most of the time a half baked version.
Maybe I am a little bit overreacting, but for me, the last updates are bullshit and absolute not professional.

I wrote on the Hammerhead Community to give each ATG member (great work Doug, compliments!) a task to test.
Divide the ATG members in several test platforms.
Give them instructions what to test.

And yes I am afraid that we are the testing platform for the Karoo Version 2.

Hope that all gets better.

nordog

Post by nordog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Quote: And we still have the stupid "green means go" bar at the top when you think you've started a ride, only in fact for the ride to be stopped because you need to press another button?

This is utter rubbish. End quote.
I fully agree Steve, glad I'm not the only one.
I still had trouble yesterday with that top green line, for the first time in weeks that horrid big green Start came up in the middle of my short town ride and I thought it was working fine. I was going to add that ride with today's or tomorrows ride, by the pause and keeping it on charge overnight in my garage on the bike itself.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 am

HH support have finally acknowledged that the issue that I'm seeing (where all of my routes past a certain date just don't show up in the Ride app, even though they're in my Routes app) is a bug, and they're working on a fix.