My Karoo experiences on a French trip

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
jeffjsmith33

My Karoo experiences on a French trip

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 pm

I am running the current version 1.5.75.3 having bravely installed it the night before setting off for France. I have a working SIM card and usually have WiFi on.

Day 1

All looks good when cycling from Agen to Damazan. I got tbt instructions, hr and cadence recording ok. Elevation still seems inaccurate in auto calibration but tracks ascent and decent quite accurately. About 60% battery left after 3 hours.

Tried to set up a route to the supermarket but just got Waiting for Instructions..., but it did record the short ride ok.
Last edited by jeffjsmith33 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffjsmith33

Re: My experiences on a French trip

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Day 2

Turned off auto pause.

Selected route to Marmande, but just got Waiting for Instructions... Rode all the way like that following the red line.

Saved the ride and selected the next route which started some way back and I was now 3 Kim’s away as it passed. Selected Start when riding and got tbt. However, it was routing right to the beginning, so I followed the map to intercept the route. The Karoo went into Rerouting and never came out of it. I navigated to the route and then followed the red line.

It is really hard to spot the roads on the map, the contrast is so poor.

All recorded and saved ok. Battery down to 23% after maybe 4 to 5 hours turned on.

After day 2, 50% success.

jeffjsmith33

Re: My Karoo experiences on a French trip

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 am

Day 3
--------

Wifi on, Bluetooth on, mobile on, auto-pause off

All started well, starting the route from a rolling position. I got TbT all the way, including a correct re-route, until we diverted about 500 metres from the planned route to buy some things from a supermarket. That took about 20 minutes.

At this point, the Karoo went into Re-routing and didn't return, even when we restarted a got back onto the route. No more TbT.

We stopped for lunch and I tried to change the route to the one we were following. It went through the motions but got stuck Waiting for Instruction. I was static when I did this, so maybe I should have been rolling.

So a 50% day maybe, and thus 50% OK overall. Battery at 47% after 4.5 hours running.

I have to say the clear red line is the Karoo's saviour here, without it I would be in trouble. Or the Karoo would be.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 pm

I actually prefer the red line to TbT. But they need to get this fixed ASAP.

J.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Day 4
————

Wifi on, Bluetooth on, mobile on, auto-pause off

Things started well. I selected the route and pressed ‘start’ even before moving and the first turn came up. And the turn cues carried on working. We made a diversion and rerouting worked two or three times trying to get me back to the route.

Then it started to rain, so we paused to put on our jackets and sheltered for just a few minutes. Now ‘rerouting’ was showing statically and it never disappeared for the remainder of the ride. This was a bit of a nuisance since we were going through Bordeaux and the turn cues might have been handy. The red line was good though and I had no difficulty following the route.

The ride saved and uploaded perfectly. Battery level was at 52% after running for about 3 hours 45 minutes.

So, another 50% day. I have a feeling that if you stop and are off-route something goes awry and never recovers, even if you have auto pause off, as I did. The same thing probably happened yesterday.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 am

Day 5
————-

Usual auto pause off, WiFi, sim and Bluetooth on.

No luck at.all today with TbT, even starting when stopped or rolling. So a whole day Waiting for Instructions. I am considering not bothering if I have another day with that message covering some of the map.

The red line was good again, and the ride recorded fine. After the main ride I navigated to a supermarket, no TbT but it did find the place using the SIM card and found a good route.

So my succeed with navigation.is still mixed, and TBT is worse I feel after the 1.5.75.3 update. Before I could almost always get it with auto psuse off.

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 am

Can I ask why you leave WiFi on while riding? It'll do nothing other than drain battery while potentially trying to "talk" to every open WiFi network along your route. If you've already downloaded the local map areas and made the routes available offline, I don't see any advantage to having WiFi on unless you're using your phone as a hotspot and even then it would seem of limited use while in-ride...

For that matter, if everything is already downloaded to the device, I'm not sure you need the SIM on, either.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Day 6
—————

Hi Doug, I leave the WiFi and SIM card on out of idleness really, you are right that I don’t need them. I thought also to try some days with them off to see the effect on battery drain. I have no real need for more life in the Karoo since we never plan to go more than 5 hours probably.

Anyway, today. WiFi, SIM card and Bluetooth on, auto pause off.

All started well. I selected the route and started it with moving, and got the first navigation cue. It continued to work until I went off route to take photo, about 50 metres away from the route. When I looked at the Karoo it was “rerouting” and stayed like that, no more TbT.

At lunchtime I tried to change the route to the same one, and I had “Waiting for Instructions” for the rest of the ride.

The ride saved fine and uploaded to Strava.

When we arrived I routed to a nearby supermarket.it found a route, but stuck on WfI.

Conclusion. There is definitely a problem if you pause when you are off route. The permanent “rerouting” has happened three times now when I am off route and stop for a while. TbT really is too much of a hassle to use at the moment and I will turn it off. Not a great advert I am afraid.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:13 pm

jeffjsmith33 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:56 pm
There is definitely a problem if you pause when you are off route. The permanent “rerouting” has happened three times now when I am off route and stop for a while.
That mirrors my experience too though I hadn't realised it until you just pinned it down for me. I had been aware that things often seem to go wrong for me at the cafe stops on my rides. I assumed this was to do with just being paused for some time (auto pause being on for me), but you've just helped me realise that I'm almost certainly off course (in Karoo terms) because I usually plot a short turn into the cafe which also doesn't cover just how far from the main road that I go with my Karoo in my pocket (into the cafe at a garden centre, so that's probably a good 100m or so off course).

So thanks, Jeff, for helping me to see that it's probably the pausing off course that's the problem for me too.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Day 7
--------

I turned off TbT navigation, wifi, and the SIM card and all was so much better.

I didn't have to feel annoyed seeing those big red error messages all day. It was easy enough to follow the route line. The only time I would really miss the navigation cues is when I am off course. It is so hard to see the roads with the poor contrast on the map, and the little blue reroute line does sometimes help see where you might go on a diversion. But I think I'll keep navigation off, it is more pleasant all round.

Battery life was much better with no routing and the other things turned off. Less than 10% consumption per hour.

Oh, and the KAaoo again found me a good route to a nearby supermarket that I had found on Google Maps. It would be nice of course to send the location direct to the Karoo …

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Day 8
—————

I had turned off TbT yesterday, and today I loaded the route and started, and Leo and behold the cues came up, beautifully all day! I remembered that there is a bug that turned TbT back on again after a reboot, so the Karoo was having its own way. Anyway, I have to say it was 100% perfect today. Even rerouting correctly a number of times,resuming after a long lunch stop, and getting us to the hotel.

If every ride was like this, I would be so happy! It is interesting to reflect that if they could just get those bugs relating to TbT sorted out reliably, it would be a great device.

All saved and uploaded fine, and even the elevation was pretty accurate.

Wow!

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Day 9
---------

How weird. The Karoo is behaving very well - again today it did TbT all the way. We even stopped off route to buy some croissants, I saw the 'rerouting' message when I got back to the bike, but the message was replaced by the next turn cue when I started moving. Everything was recorded and uploaded just fine. Maybe threatening to turn off TbT has jolted the Karoo into improved behaviour?

There was one oddity from yesterday. When I returned from the supermarket I found that the route to our hotel that I plotted weeks ago, and used yesterday had been replaced by the route I added on the Karoo when I was at the supermarket and wanted to go to the hotel. The 45 km route had been replaced on the dashboard by a 1.4 km route made on the Karoo. I didn't matter since we had completed that part of the journey, but I have reported it.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Day 10
——————

I started the route and ride but the Karoo got stuck on ‘Waiting for Instruction’. Not wanting to see this all day, having given it a couple kms to get going, I decided to turn off navigation cues.

Otherwise all went well, it was easy to follow the line of the route and all was recorded and uploaded correctly.

Summary: I guess I get TbT 50% of the time.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am

Day 11
-----------

We were having two days in one place and only to and from a supermarket.

I added a route to the supermarket from our accommodation, and it worked well with TbT and rerouting all correct.

At the supermarket after shopping I wanted to add a route back to our accommodation but the Karoo couldn't find it (I do have a SIM card). So I gave up and just rode, with Destination Reached covering the lower 20% of the screen. I followed the map with the grey trail showing the way and my position correctly tracked.

Back at the accommodation I saved the ride but didn't notice that the Karoo had only recorded the trip to the supermarket, and had not recorded anything after Destination Reached. Another bug to report.

I know some people think that the dashboard map is a waste of effort, but I like the way an added route magically syncs to the Karoo, and is convenient from that point of view. What is totally frustrating is the way the routing suddenly decided that all the points you have plotted were just for fun, and it knows a much better way and ignores them all. This happens mostly if I make a route that goes north then east, and the dashboard finds a much better route going north-east. Which was not what I wanted. I can use MapMyRide etc, but this type of route creation should not be an impossible ask, or task for Hammerhead.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Day 12
—————-

Today started well with the TbT cues com8ng up after I started the route as I rolled along. All kept working until 10 km down the road when we had to traverse a town and make a diversion due to one-way streets. The Karoo went into Rerouting and never showed another navigation cue. After a while I got fed up with see8ng the message “Rerouting” and decided to turn off navigation. The ride saved and uploaded ok.

When we arrived at our destination I used the Karoo to find a route to the local supermarket and again to navigate back to our accommodation from the supermarket. In both cases it worked perfectly, even navigating to the exact house number on the street.

You just never know with the Karoo whether it will be perfect or slightly annoying. However, the screen, touch responsiveness and tap to zoom is just great, and navigating a route without the cues is a breeze.

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Day 13
——————

Day 13 was not so good. The route today started from out accommodation and should have taken us to the bike path. When I started the Karoo on the route all I got was ‘Waiting for instruction...’. The I noticed that I couldn’t see the red line either, and it took me a moment or two to discover that the route edit that I had done at some point had the effect of altering the beginning of the route. The Dashboard routing eng8ne had decided so ignore my waypoints and found a more direct route. Not what I wanted and so I had to make my way to the bike path through the streets of the town until I found it. I then followed the signs until the route on the Karoo met me.

It is crazy that any routing engine should override waypoints.

So no TbT today, and a bit of annoyance at the beginning. I turned off navigation cues to get rid of the message.

So, always a surprise a day with the Karoo, it is entertaining in that way.