Bracket foot update from HH

Chat about Hammerhead's Karoo in general.
nnovod

Bracket foot update from HH

Post by nnovod » Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 am

RossA

Re: Bracket foot update from HH

Post by RossA » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 am

Sounds like a good compromise.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 am

Good response from HH. Great explanation of their analysis of the problem and a sensible solution to offer everyone a replacement foot.

More of this sort of communication, please!

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 pm

That is a good response, but -- and here it comes -- does the "vertical" video of the fixed foot look weird to anyone else? Like the new foot is made from Flubber or something?

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Hard to tell if that's the foot itself flexing or evidence of looseness/flexibility of the mount. Also curious that they say to not use an alloy mount. I assume that's because alloy will wear out the foot more easily, but perhaps it's because alloy is less flexible.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm

It does look awfully loose in the mount. But I wonder if that's deliberate, and they're putting it in a mount that has some play to simulate a worst-case (bad fit) scenario and therefore put maximum stress on the foot? I could be totally wrong, of course.

FitmanNJ

Post by FitmanNJ » Wed May 16, 2018 2:29 pm

dthempel wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 pm
That is a good response, but -- and here it comes -- does the "vertical" video of the fixed foot look weird to anyone else? Like the new foot is made from Flubber or something?

Also, in the "original" design video above, is it normal/"Ok" that the Karoo casing also comes apart? The same thing seems to happen in the other video that's part of the recent Hammerhead "Bracket Foot Update" blog posting. I imagine that it all snaps back together, but if there's a significant impact, is it OK that the halves of the Karoo may go flying off in different directions. The lanyard (if improved in the new design) would seem to tether the casing bottom to the bike, but what about the top/screen half?? Would the foot screw hold the two halves together if it's integrity wasn't being compromised as in the old design (just checked...doesn't appear so)?

ddimick

Post by ddimick » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

The tether is connected to the main body via the bracket foot screw, not the back clamshell. The only way for the main body to go flying is if the bracket foot fails.

ddimick

Post by ddimick » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Steve wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm
It does look awfully loose in the mount. But I wonder if that's deliberate, and they're putting it in a mount that has some play to simulate a worst-case (bad fit) scenario and therefore put maximum stress on the foot? I could be totally wrong, of course.
Part of their blog post talks about the elasticity of the bracket foot and that it will deform before breaking. So in their drop test I think we're seeing that flexing in action. After that kind of drop you might have to replace the bracket foot, but because it deformed and held instead of broke and sprinkled sorrow on the asphalt.

RossA

Post by RossA » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

I’m more concerned that in the other video demonstration it appears the unit is breaking apart.

ddimick

Post by ddimick » Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 pm

RossA wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm
I’m more concerned that in the other video demonstration it appears the unit is breaking apart.
The back cover is designed to pop off fairly easily. It doesn't expose any electronics and is not part of the weather proofing. You remove it in order to install a SIM.

Edit: Also, to be clear, the bracket foot and tether are in no way attached to the back cover. It has a hole in the middle so that the bracket foot mounts through the back cover and bolts into the main body.
20180516_084227.jpg
20180516_084227.jpg (118.61 KiB) Viewed 151 times

dthempel
Site Admin

Post by dthempel » Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm

ddimick wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm
Part of their blog post talks about the elasticity of the bracket foot and that it will deform before breaking. So in their drop test I think we're seeing that flexing in action. After that kind of drop you might have to replace the bracket foot, but because it deformed and held instead of broke and sprinkled sorrow on the asphalt.
I guess I've never seen or am not familiar with any sort of hard(ish?) plastic that would be suitable for a mount foot and still deform *that* much. It literally looks like it's made of rubber. I guess I'm willing to learn about it, though. To me, it looks like the mounting point (like the "Barfly" connection point mounted to the metal testbed) are different and allowing flex... a LOT of flex.

RossA

Post by RossA » Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm

The back cover is designed to pop off fairly easily. It doesn't expose any electronics and is not part of the weather proofing. You remove it in order to install a SIM.
Ahh - didn’t realise this. Not as bad as it looks then. Although maybe they should make that clear as a new customer may not know it either.

jhnbssll

Post by jhnbssll » Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I've got quite a bit of experience of drop and impact testing plastic components and using high speed cameras to record the events. It is quite striking to watch the plastic move that much but believe it or not that is actually not unusual. Some plastics are capable of buckling and regaining their shape so quickly that its impossible to detect at normal speed but when replayed in slow motion it appears to defy physics :lol:

Fear not, it's not made of flubber :mrgreen: