How to install third-party apps on your Karoo

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
Steve
Site Admin

Re: How to install third-party apps on your Karoo

Post by Steve » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am

planet_coke wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am
did somebody find out, how to pick and deploy the Google Play Services on the device?
OpenGapps is what you need. I'm unsure whether you'll have to root first or not though. If I had a spare Karoo then I'd have tried it myself.

jhazelwd

Post by jhazelwd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm

I rooted, but I don't think you have to. OpenGapps is correct from a package standpoint and you'll install via TWRP, assuming you've unlocked bootloader and enabled USB debugging. In the more current versions of the Karoo firmware I had to delete the Karoo NLP app to get it running properly, but relatively straightforward.

dabrown16

Post by dabrown16 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 am

I'm trying to download the Dropbox .apk on my iMac to install it on the Karoo. If I download it directly or request it send an email with the link, I'm only able to get .dmg packages for OSX. I've installed Osmand, Switcher and a couple others with no issues. Is there another repository of the Dropbox .apk that will enable downloads to a desktop Mac?
Thanks,
Dan

SilverbakRacing

Post by SilverbakRacing » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:53 pm

I installede Xplore file manager and upon startup it asks to Allow or Deny access to files on your device. That Allow/Deny popup will only allow me to select Deny. Also PI Music Player does the same thing. Any ideas how to Allow an app that needs access to file locations?
Last edited by SilverbakRacing on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

dabrown16 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 am
I'm trying to download the Dropbox .apk on my iMac to install it on the Karoo. If I download it directly or request it send an email with the link, I'm only able to get .dmg packages for OSX. I've installed Osmand, Switcher and a couple others with no issues. Is there another repository of the Dropbox .apk that will enable downloads to a desktop Mac?
Try installing the APKPure app - see https://apkpure.com/

Or go to https://apkpure.com/dropbox/com.dropbox.android