Karoo and OTG cable?

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
JamieMedeiros

Karoo and OTG cable?

Post by JamieMedeiros » Sat May 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Has anyone tried to use a usb OTG cable with Karoo? I am a type one diabetic trying to see if I can connect it to a usb connection for integrating it with Nightscout. It would be nice to be able to view blood sugar trends without having to look at the insulin pump.

JamieMedeiros

Re: Karoo and OTG cable?

Post by JamieMedeiros » Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 pm

So I managed to load a few apps from APKPure. I tried a few OTG checkers and they all said that the Karoo was usb OTG ready. It doesn't seem to be the case though. The Karoo is not sensing when I plug in to the usb port with things like a card reader and the insulin pump link device. Both trigger USB on my android phone.\

Any suggestions?

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun May 05, 2019 6:54 am

Hmm, I can't see why HH would have specifically disabled it if the firmware supports OTG? I haven't tried it myself on Karoo. It's absolutely ages since I've used OTG. So you've got apps loaded that support it, right, e.g. something that supports external storage for the card reader? Sorry, I know I'm not being much help.

JamieMedeiros

Post by JamieMedeiros » Tue May 07, 2019 5:16 pm

I could not get an OTG cable to work. It is probably for the better. Having a usb cord sticking out all the time is probably not a good idea. I found an old android phone and I am using that to connect to the receiver and wifi hot spotting it to work with the Karoo. This way I can load the data up to a web page then call the page down to the Karoo. Here it is in action : https://www.instagram.com/p/BxH470vl4y2/ It is a real game changer to be able to see blood sugar readings in real time while riding. I was out for 3 hours the other day and it made it easy to control things.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Glad you found a way to make it work for you, well done.

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Thu May 09, 2019 12:10 pm

JamieMedeiros wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:16 pm
I could not get an OTG cable to work. It is probably for the better. Having a usb cord sticking out all the time is probably not a good idea. I found an old android phone and I am using that to connect to the receiver and wifi hot spotting it to work with the Karoo. This way I can load the data up to a web page then call the page down to the Karoo. Here it is in action : https://www.instagram.com/p/BxH470vl4y2/ It is a real game changer to be able to see blood sugar readings in real time while riding. I was out for 3 hours the other day and it made it easy to control things.
I can only imagine - well done! As a sidenote, that would be a far more useful data field for HH's dashboard than the bullshit like "sunrise time" they added a few months ago.