INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
gadaga

INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK

Post by gadaga » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi,

When trying to install an apk with the
adb install xxx.apk
command I get the above error.

What's wrong please? And what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Paul

Steve
Site Admin

Re: INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Sounds like the app needs a newer version of Android than Karoo provides (6.0). What app is it? You might be able to find an older apk for the app that supports 6.0.

gadaga

Re: INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK

Post by gadaga » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks Steve,

It's the app ''My RouteMap'' app, made by my brother (very handy app!!).

You're right. In order to solve my problem, he lowered the android version required by the app from Android 7 to Android 6. Now I can install it!

However, the app (which uses the Google API for routing, waypoints info, terrain data, street view, etc) said it requires Google play services. I don't understand why as I also installed Google Maps (which uses the same API) via Apkpure and that runs without a problem on the Karoo.

Any idea where that might come from?

Is it possible to only install Google Play services without installing the complete Google apps (like Playstore, Gmail, etc)? If so, this might cure the problem...

Thanks,

Paul