Sideload instructions for an up-to-date device

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
dmbrubac

Sideload instructions for an up-to-date device

Post by dmbrubac » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi all
I've enjoyed my Karoo since I received it in March, but I want to mitigate some of the software risks. I've read these forums and it seems if you didn't unlock prior to an update that occurred while I was sweating through 2 months of riding in Europe, you're out of luck. Is that correct? Mine is up-to-date software-wise, so is there a guide I've missed that tells you how to add a new loader post update?

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Sideload instructions for an up-to-date device

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:07 am

As I understand it, if your bootloader is locked (the default) then that doesn't stop you sideloading apps. What it does stop you doing is installing a custom recovery (e.g. TWRP).

dmbrubac

Re: Sideload instructions for an up-to-date device

Post by dmbrubac » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks - I'm up and running using the Mac specific instructions in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=366
I added Chrome to the Karoo to get to the Amazon AppStore (I am a windows / iOS user but the instructions were easy to translate. The appstore wouldn't let me download the apk to windows though). If others do this, go into settings / apps and give Chrome access to your file system. The Allow/Deny prompt within Chrome doesn't show that Allow is disabled very nicely.