Right Switchr usage?

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
Alx

Right Switchr usage?

Post by Alx » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am

Hi all,

if you:
- set Switchr to start automatically on boot and
- set also a list (max 6 entry with Switchr free) of app to choose from
you can start the Karoo using the native launcher having anyway the option to launch other apps.

With the bottom-right button you can navigate/exit the app in the foreground or, with a fast double push, access the app list and close the unwanted ones.

Ale
Attachments
2018-08-30_114007.jpg
2018-08-30_114007.jpg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 605 times
2018-08-30_113951.jpg
2018-08-30_113951.jpg (155.18 KiB) Viewed 605 times
2018-08-30_113933.jpg
2018-08-30_113933.jpg (169.3 KiB) Viewed 609 times

nnovod

Re: Right Switchr usage?

Post by nnovod » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Just curious: How did you get OsmAnd+ loaded? I have OsmAnd loaded and then purchased the plus version from Amazon, which may have been a mistake because now I can't see a way to load the plus version I purchased. Is there a way to simply get the apk for the plus version?

Alx

Post by Alx » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 pm

nnovod wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 pm
Just curious: How did you get OsmAnd+ loaded? I have OsmAnd loaded and then purchased the plus version from Amazon, which may have been a mistake because now I can't see a way to load the plus version I purchased. Is there a way to simply get the apk for the plus version?
Hi nnovad.
It works this way:
You purchase the Osmand + on the standard amazon site.
Then install the App "Amazon appstore" on the karoo and download Osmand+ from this app.
I have also purachsed the hill shade addin the same way.

Alx

nnovod

Post by nnovod » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks Alx. I couldn't find a way to download the Amazon app store (Amazon was asking for my mobile phone number) but finally found it here: https://amazon-appstore.en.uptodown.com/android.

A couple of other questions:
- I did as you suggested with Switchr but still did not have Osmand show up as an icon. Is there anything else I have to do besides saying Switchr should startup at boot and listing Osmand as a content app. I can get to Osmand by double pressing the lower right button so it's not so hard, but it would be nice to have an icon.
- When Osmand is running is there any way to get it to give turn notifications if you're currently on another screen? For example, if I'm on the HH ride screen is there any way to have Osmand interrupt the ride to tell/show me an upcoming turn?

Thanks,
Nathaniel