Root Karoo?

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
JohnJ80

Root Karoo?

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm looking for a good way to root Karoo and all the hacks I've tried don't work.

What I'd like to do is use one of the backup apps that backup/restore android apps and their data to the cloud. I want to back up my side loaded apps along with their data (maps etc...) and then when I/if I need to do a full reset, I can quickly restore them with their data. All of the backup apps I've found that permit this also require root access. Also need to add that I'm hoping to be able to do this solely from the Karoo and not need to bring along a computer.

Thoughts?

J.

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Root Karoo?

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:37 pm

It's a long time since I've seen someone describe rooting their Karoo, so the methods might have changed. But magisk used to work.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try.

J.

jhazelwd

Post by jhazelwd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Assuming you can unlock bootloader (that option was removed), then you can run TWRP (via ADB) and install Magisk.

JohnJ80

Post by JohnJ80 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Which version of TWRP? There are a lot of them.

J.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 am

JohnJ80 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm
Which version of TWRP? There are a lot of them.
See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74

RustedRoot

Post by RustedRoot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm

John, I was able to root the Karoo using jahazelwd's method. Knowing your background, if I can you can.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=298

Psyclist

Post by Psyclist » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 am

I've made quite some progress since I started hacking on the Karoo again yesterday.
The way I see it, the most promising way is to trick the Karoo into downgrading its firmware to a version (1.5.75.3 or earlier) that still has the "OEM unlock" option to open the bootloader. By now I can impersonate the update server and get my firmware ZIP downloaded. However, signature verification fails because it seems like all the versions from the Karoo OTAs thread have had their updater-script modified:

Code: Select all

$ jarsigner -verify -verbose -certs full-karoo-1.5.75.3.zip
jarsigner: java.lang.SecurityException: SHA1 digest error for META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
@all: does anyone still have an old and completely virgin OTA file? I'm going through a few versions from that thread I haven't tried yet but on my internet connection that can take a while.

Edit: This sounds like it could still break the whole approach. I looked at some udate-scripts and they didn't have that check so I was hoping HH had only put that in later to prevent downgrading, but if it has always been there, I'm fuct AFAICS. Then it's back to the drawing board: I've seen one crash due do SIGSEGV in what is obviously native code that looks like it could be exploitable, but that's a whole different level of complexity.