How to see Karoo files from your PC

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
harpmaster

Re: How to see Karoo files from your PC

Post by harpmaster » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am

Finally got it to work.. I switched on the Karoo from MTP to PTP and back to MTP again.. and that did the job!!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 am

harpmaster wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am
Finally got it to work.. I switched on the Karoo from MTP to PTP and back to MTP again.. and that did the job!!
Great, well done. I knew it was going to be something simple!

harpmaster

Post by harpmaster » Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 am

Well, next step will be to find out how to install other maps and a launcher ...
Ben

jeffjsmith33

Post by jeffjsmith33 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:23 pm

What also would be really excellent would be if you could find a 'Newfiles' folder to put .GPX files into for syncing to Routes....

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed May 02, 2018 6:19 pm

jeffjsmith33 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:23 pm
What also would be really excellent would be if you could find a 'Newfiles' folder to put .GPX files into for syncing to Routes....
Agreed. Maybe that's possible if you're rooted, if it does just have the GPX (because being rooted you'd be able to see all folders across the whole Karoo). Though it wouldn't work if the Dashboard sends it over in some sort of proprietary format.

Otti

Post by Otti » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 am

Steve wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 pm
Go into Settings -> Developer Options and scroll down until you see the USB debugging option, which you need to turn on. Then connect your Karoo to your PC via USB. Assuming your PC has the relevant drivers, then a window might pop up (if not, try firing up a File Explorer window and seeing ilf you can see your Karoo from This PC). However, this will initially be a blank window, and by default you can't see any files on your Karoo.
Unfortunately, after connecting my Karoo with my PC no window Pop up! Even if I open the File Explorer I cannot see the Karoo. Any other Options?
Steve wrote:
To get over this, still in Settings -> Developer Options, scroll down further until you get to "Select USB Configuration" in the Networking section. This will be showing MTP by default. Tap on this entry, and then you will get a menu asking you to pick the USB Configuration. Select RNDIS and now you should get a new window popping up on your PC which actually shows some of your Karoo's files. Note that you'll have to go through this step (picking RNDIS) each time you connect your Karoo via USB, because it resets each time to MTP.his
Even after clicking on RNDIS it is not changing MTP.

This was all working some time ago but not anymore!

Otti

Post by Otti » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 am

Otti wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 am
Steve wrote:
Go into Settings -> Developer Options and scroll down until you see the USB debugging option, which you need to turn on. Then connect your Karoo to your PC via USB. Assuming your PC has the relevant drivers, then a window might pop up (if not, try firing up a File Explorer window and seeing ilf you can see your Karoo from This PC). However, this will initially be a blank window, and by default you can't see any files on your Karoo.
Unfortunately, after connecting my Karoo with my PC no window Pop up! Even if I open the File Explorer I cannot see the Karoo. Any other Options?
Steve wrote:
To get over this, still in Settings -> Developer Options, scroll down further until you get to "Select USB Configuration" in the Networking section. This will be showing MTP by default. Tap on this entry, and then you will get a menu asking you to pick the USB Configuration. Select RNDIS and now you should get a new window popping up on your PC which actually shows some of your Karoo's files. Note that you'll have to go through this step (picking RNDIS) each time you connect your Karoo via USB, because it resets each time to MTP.his
Even after clicking on RNDIS it is not changing MTP.

This was all working some time ago but not anymore!
I used a different USB cable and everything is fine now!

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Otti wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 am
I used a different USB cable and everything is fine now!
Great news! Glad you got it working.