Updated Draft Guide: Install Google Play Services

Third-party apps, customisation, mods, development, custom kernels & ROMs

WARNING - Here be dragons!
If you don't entirely understand what you're doing, even following someone else's guide could end up with you bricking your Karoo, or leaving it in an unsupported state with no way to go back. By all means enter, read and learn, but undertake actions on your Karoo at your own risk!
Forum rules
Undertake any procedures at your own risk and make sure you know how to reverse any changes. You could brick your Karoo or at the very least put it into an unsupported configuration.
gl00

Re: Draft Guide: Install Google Play Services

Post by gl00 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm

hi guys... I just received a new Karoo with the old firmware...
could anyone share step by step instructions to unlock the bootloader before I update the software ?

thanks !

** nevermind - just got the detailed instructions from jhazelwd

Crewone

Re: Updated Draft Guide: Install Google Play Services

Post by Crewone » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 pm

I can, unfortunately, confirm that unlocking the bootloader is no longer an option. It fails with "Unlock operation is not allowed"

RossA

Post by RossA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Apologies if this is an obvious answer. Having added my own apps now via unlocking the Bootlpader if I upgrade to the latest version of software (today’s) will that stop me from adding more apps and accessing them?

If the bootloader is unlocked now will it become locked when I upgrade?

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm

No, your bootloader will stay unlocked. It won't re-lock your bootloader when doing an upgrade.

jhazelwd

Post by jhazelwd » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:41 am

Since I've given up on this device, I need to write up instructions on how to pull and tweak the update files so you can easily upgrade/downgrade the Karoo software.

Honestly, you're better off mounting your phone on your bike. Your phone is lighter (not going to break the mount), better screen, and easier to install functional software (if you care about the device data). I've been running Garmins for over 10 years now and never had an issue that wasn't easily solveable. I honestly don't care if the device info is off some, but I want consistency. I love Android and the openness, which allured me to the Karoo, but unfortunately they are closing it down little by little and their engineers aren't up to the task. I've seen this before. Programming is a skill, math is a different skill. Good data requires math expertise. Guess which part they are lacking.

I'll try to get something written up soon.

RustedRoot

Post by RustedRoot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks John. Good of you to update the guide even though you've gone back to Garmin. I'm not far behind you.